Jan 19, 2010

Sweet Corn Chowder on a Rainy Day

It's been wet and cold outside for more than one day for a change. The constant chattering of raindrops bravely competing with the low hum of my desktop pc, along with the grayness and muted light pushing through the windows, I am lulled almost to hibernation...almost. At least there's enough spark in me to make a good hearty bowl of piping hot soup to curl up with. Is there anything more comforting? ... Well, maybe a warm blanket and a big furry dog to sleep on my feet.

Ingredients:

3 C. potato, peeled and cut into large chunks
2 C. water
2 C. plain soy milk
1 large onion. chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1/3 C. + 2 T. nutritional yeast flakes
3-4 C. frozen corn
1 C. red pepper, chopped
salt & pepper to taste

Spinz:

Boil the potatoes in the water in a covered pot until tender. Remove the potato from the water and set aside. While potatoes are boiling, saute onions and garlic in the olive oil until golden and tender.
To the pot of potato water, add the onions, soymilk, corn, red pepper, nutritional yeast flakes, and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Add potatoes. Puree in a blender to desired consistency (I like mine chunkier). Salt and pepper to taste.

5 comments:

  1. freakin' awesome! i haven't had corn chowder in fo'eva! those potato chunks looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! Can't wait to try it. Is there a reason you specify frozen corn? I usually use canned...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always use frozen because it tastes fresher to me, but feel free to try it with canned and let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking at your corn chowder makes me realize how long it's been since I've made it. My husband loves it!
    I agree with you about the frozen corn tasting better. The only canned veggies I use are tomatoes and artichokes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been craving soups and stews like nothing else lately- This sounds like the perfect thing to add to my lineup! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete