Jan 26, 2010

Beddar Than Cheddar

Almonds, radishes, and carrots make this a good cheese competitor, believe it or not! The almonds add richness, the radishes give a bit of sharpness, and the carrots give a good color. I made this instead of the usual vegan nacho cheeze sauce, which involves a mixture of Follow Your Heart cheddar, silken tofu, and Vegennaise- which is HELLA good, but not very light and still uses processed foods.

Here is my alternative. It's not the same, but a very tasty substitute. I know this because my non-vegan cheese loving friends loved it.

I also thinned out the sauce with a little more vegetable broth, added cooked broccoli, and made a mighty tasty Broccoli Cheeze Soup. Let me know what you think!

You'll need a food processor or high powered blender for this recipe.

Ingredients:

1 C. raw almonds (blanched and peeled)
1 C. radishes (cut into chunks)
1 C. potato (peeled and cut into chunks)
1 C. carrots (cut into chunks)
1/2 to 1 C. yellow onion (cut into chunks)
1 C. broth (reserved from cooking the vegetables)
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 T. garlic powder
salt to taste
1 T. extra virgin olive oil (optional)

Spinz:

Blanch and peel the almonds and put into a food processor with salt, garlic powder, and lemon juice. Pulverize until you get a very fine meal. Boil the radishes, potato, carrots, and onion in enough water to cover until tender. Strain the vegetables, reserving 1 cup of the broth. If making soup, reserve all the broth. Add the vegetables and 1 cup broth to the nut mixture and blend until silky smooth. Stream in the olive oil if adding.

If making soup, add more broth in small amounts until you get the desired consistency. Add cooked broccoli or other veggies as desired.

Mike (the Hubby) & Butterscotch

And who should stop by today, but our good friend, Butterscotch (female beatboxer, singer, and musician from "America's Got Talent," amongst other great things). I caught her with a mouth full of nachos- LOL! If you've never seen her before, here's one of my favorite performances- check her out, she brings tears to my eyes.

4 comments:

  1. Scampering off to the kitchen to make this now! I really appreciate recipes that don't rely on processed junk. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo - i love the totally new combo of ingredients for the cheese. radishes? who would've thunk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I totally get how the radishes would give this recipe the edge to that cheddar taste. What a great recipe. I'll get back to you when I try this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. annie- warbles like CeeFeb 8, 2010, 10:20:00 AM

    Made this for Tommy's Superbowl party. They ate it up and didn't know it was vegan. And I had some leftovers to take to my friend in the hospital (baby is sick, awwww) and she loved it. I added one clove of raw garlic to puree and boiled down 3 sliced gloves in the process and thought it was yummy.

    ReplyDelete